Friday, May 22, 2009

It's Not Always About You, Part 2

May 24, 2009

Dear Friends,

In my message a couple of weeks ago, I told a story that perfectly illustrated the point I wanted to make that day—the point that the divine flow is not always about you.

As I wrote, “Sometimes you are being divinely guided to say something or do something that will help someone else fulfill his or her dream . . . not necessarily yours. You may be guided to simply help another person live life more abundantly. Or, you may be guided to help another person live, period.” (To review the entire message, click here.)

After reading that story, Chris of Payson, Arizona, wrote to me and told me about his own experience with this particular aspect of the divine flow. And today I would like to share his example with you.

Dear Steven,

A few years ago I was driving home after picking up some groceries at the market. I usually make a quick stop at the Post Office along the way, but this time a “small voice within” kept telling me not to stop to pick up my mail. Instead, I was strongly directed to go home immediately. I didn’t understand this message, but I followed this strange, intuitive nudge anyway.

As I drove down the street near my home, I was surprised to spot a small boy standing right in the middle of the road! He was only about a year old, and was still dressed in his pajamas. I quickly pulled over to the side of the road, got out of my car, and walked up the child.

As I unsuccessfully tried to find out from the little boy where he lived, another motorist stopped behind me. Then, suddenly, the boy’s father came running up to retrieve his son, and took him safely home.

Like you said, Steven, the divine flow is not always about me. That day in particular I felt like I was being divinely guided to help someone else . . . someone who was in danger, and who needed help.

Chris

Friends, if there is anything else I can add to the idea that the divine flow is not “always about you,” it would simply be this: Contrary to the way some people have been describing the nature of the Universe lately, I do not see the Universe as some kind of “Genie” that can only act when we consciously command it to, and can only respond to our desires in a very literal, robotic manner.

To me, the Universe seems to be much more intelligent than that. It not only knows what we want on a conscious level, but it also knows what lies deep within our hearts. And it is constantly guiding us, leading us, and bringing us together in ways that can heal our lives . . . prosper our lives . . . and sometimes, even save our lives.

I think that kind of all-knowing, compassionate intelligence deserves a better title than mere “Genie.” I, for one, think another G-word is appropriate.

Steven

© 2009 by Steven Lane Taylor
Author of Row, Row, Row Your Boat:
A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow

www.rowrowrow.com

No comments: