Saturday, January 10, 2009

Now And Then

January 11, 2009

Dear Friends,

Last week I wrote about being present in the now moment, and the important part that plays in the manifestation process. I have written about this subject before, and a while back I received a question from a reader who wanted me to clarify one particular aspect about this principle.

At the risk of somewhat repeating last week’s message, this week I would like to share that reader’s question with you, and my answer. Perhaps it will clear up any confusion that you may also be experiencing.

Dear Steven,

I love to dream, think, and fantasize about where I’d like to be in life, and that seems to be a necessary part of the manifestation process. But doing that takes me out of the present moment. How do I reconcile my need to imagine where I want to be, with the constant injunction by you—and others—to stay in the now? I feel like I am crossing myself up.


Dear Reader,

There is nothing wrong with spending time visualizing what you want to have, do, or be in life. And you are right, it is quite necessary. The trick is to avoid dwelling on it incessantly.

I recommend that no more than once a day, in a time of contemplation or meditation, you go ahead and picture what it is you think you want. For the remainder of the day, though, you should focus on being in the now moment, so you will notice any divine signs that might tell you what your next right step toward realizing that dream is.

If you occasionally slip into a daydream about your desired future, that's okay. After you realize you are daydreaming, just gently return your focus once more to the present moment.

It’s true, you cannot completely stay in the now moment, and simultaneously dream about a desire you want to have fulfilled. My suggestion is simply to shift your attention back and forth. It is important, though, to remember that the Universe “heard” you the first time, and to keep most of your attention focused in the now . . . eagerly anticipating divine guidance . . . and being willing to move in a direction that may be different from what you "think" is best.

Thank you for your question. I hope my answer clarifies this apparent contradiction.

And I hope my answer was helpful to you, too, friends.

Steven

© 2009 by Steven Lane Taylor
Author of Row, Row, Row Your Boat:
A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow

www.rowrowrow.com

No comments: