Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Wisdom of Not Acting

August 17, 2008

Dear Friends,

As I often mention, the divine flow continually guides you, leads you, directs you, and supports you in the fulfillment of your heart's desires. But it doesn't live your life for you. To get where you want to go, you still have to row—you have to make decisions, and you have to act on those decisions.

Sometimes, however, the best decision you can make, and the best action you can take, is to decide to do nothing at all . . . at least, for the moment.

There is great wisdom in knowing when to stop what you are doing, and let the divine flow handle the details.

I still remember one of the first times I put my faith in the divine flow and consciously chose not to act. It was a day when I had been accidentally scheduled to be in three places at once. Instead of jumping on the phone and immediately trying to manipulate everyone's schedule, I "felt" that the best thing for me to do at that moment was to go get a cup of coffee. That's it. Just go get some coffee.

So that's exactly what I did. And guess what? Through a sudden cancellation, and an unexpected request for a time change, the entire schedule worked itself out perfectly while I was away. If I had interfered, I would only have complicated the situation.

Please understand, I am not suggesting that you just "drift" through life by taking one, long, endless coffee break. I am only reminding you that rowing with the flow is not about ceaseless activity.

When you attune yourself to the flow, sometimes the next right step that you will be guided to take will simply be for you to get out of the way . . . and give the divine flow some time to work its magic on your behalf.

Here’s to pausing between each and every stroke of your oars to re-attune yourself to the flow . . . and here’s to be being willing to pause a little longer if that is what is called for.

Steven

© 2008 by Steven Lane Taylor
Author of Row, Row, Row Your Boat:
A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow

No comments: