Friday, July 18, 2008

When The Flow Seems Slow

Please note: The following message is one that I wrote less than a year ago. I am already repeating it because, frankly, I need to hear it again . . . and I'm sure that many of you will welcome the reminder, as well.

July 20, 2008

Dear Friends,

Most of the time, I can sense the divine flow in my life quite easily. I notice a steady stream of signs and synchronicities—as well as intuitive nudges—that are all pointing me in one particular direction. And when I head in that direction, I feel like I am in a quickly moving current that is helping me get where I want to go with effortless ease.

Often, I experience unexpected twists and turns along the way. But those surprising detours will quickly transform into stepping stones to a higher good, so I can easily see the divine flow at work in those circumstances, as well.

Whether the flow takes a direct route, or a more circuitous one, some kind of divine movement in my life is usually fairly obvious. And I can generally discern what I am being divinely directed to do to cooperate with that movement.

But not always.

Occasionally, I experience periods in my life where it feels like the flow is hardly moving at all, leaving me in still waters for days or weeks on end with no clear guidance or direction. I do not see any signs, or experience any meaningful coincidences. Doors are not opening. And I simply don't know what my next right step is.

Those are the occasions that test my patience the most. Like most people, I always feel like there is something I should be doing to bring me one step closer to my chosen destinations in life. And doing nothing feels uncomfortable. But one of the first lessons I ever learned about living life in the divine flow is this one: Doing nothing is doing something . . . and quite often that is exactly what is called for.

Sometimes, your job is just to wait patiently while the divine flow works its magic. Yes, you may be waiting quite a while. But it won't be forever. Eventually, clear guidance will come. Your next divinely directed step will appear. And helpful doors will open. And when that happens, there is a good chance that you will be able to see the perfect timing in it all.

If you feel like you are truly open and receptive to divine direction, and yet the flow in your life seems to have slowed down dramatically, I suggest that you simply enjoy the break. Take care of all the little details in life that are calling for your attention. Enjoy the time that you have been given to partake of life's many simple pleasures. And take advantage of this opportunity to just "be."

Don't worry about how slow the flow may seem. The current will pick up soon enough.

Steven

© 2008 by Steven Lane Taylor
Author of Row, Row, Row Your Boat:
A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow

No comments: