Saturday, December 15, 2007

Defining God

December 16, 2007

Dear Friends,

A while back I was selling my book at a book fair. A woman came up to my table and asked me if I used the word “God” in my book. I replied, “Yes . . . quite often, in fact.” Then she said, “Then I don’t want to read your book.” And she walked away.

I was shocked by what she said, but not totally surprised. Like many people, it is highly likely that this woman has a rather dim view of “God.” To her, the very word itself probably represents a judgmental being who is continually monitoring our thoughts and actions, and punishing us for our failings. And she has rejected that idea.

But not everyone sees “God” in that way . . . myself included. My personal definition for God is this: The intelligent, creative energy that is love. To me, God is not an actual “being” per se, but an all-pervading energy . . . an energy that is aware of our needs and wants, and is responsive to those needs and wants in incredibly creative ways. And, as love itself, this universal energy is completely unconditional in its compassionate, loving regard for us.

The way I see it, this unconditionally loving and infinitely creative energy always has our best interests in mind. And it is always guiding us to our highest good. Our job is just to recognize and cooperate with that divine guidance. And when we do, life ceases to be a struggle, and, instead, begins to flow with effortless ease.

Because I have almost always pictured “God” in this light, I have no problem with using that particular word. But if you are more comfortable with another term, such as “Source Energy,” “The Universe,” or “Divine Mind,” that’s perfectly fine.

It really doesn’t make any difference what you call this higher power. And it really doesn’t make any difference whether you see this higher power as a very real supreme being, or as some kind of conscious, cosmic energy. As long as you practice the principles required for living life in the divine flow—principles such as paying attention, thinking positively, letting go, and loving—the effect is the same. It feels like there is an intelligence operating in this world that is far greater than your own . . . and you are directly benefiting from its help.

I, for one, am grateful for this “celestial assistance.” And I imagine that you are, too.

Thank you, Universe.

Thank you, Divine Mind.

Thank you . . . God.

Steven

© 2007 by Steven Lane Taylor

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are many who believe that people are not worthy to address the Creator and Sustainer of all in such a frivolous manner. But how else do we express our thoughts and feelings about and to this Holy Entity?