Friday, July 18, 2008

Quick Decisions

July 13, 2008

Dear Friends,

Earlier this year, a reader from Australia wrote to me with the following question and comments:


"Steve, could you please tell me what you think is the best way to choose between two or more equally good options, when you don't have much time to think about it, and you need to make a quick decision? I know that if I have a week or more, I can just leave a problem on the 'back-burner' of my mind, and a perfect solution will usually arise out of the blue. One time, for example, I was contemplating buying a run-down house that needed a huge amount of work, and then I saw a billboard that had these four words printed on it in big, blue letters: ‘You can do better!’ I took that as a divine sign. When I don't have much time, though, I find myself weighing all the pros and cons, and getting so stressed out that my mind freezes up and I just can't think about it anymore. How can I avoid getting stuck like that?"

Friends, since this is an issue that we all face---especially with the countless number of small decisions that we have to make on a daily basis---I thought it would be helpful for me to share with all of you an enhanced version of my reply:

"Dear Reader . . . first of all, I commend you for the way you generally go about making decisions. When you stated that 'time' usually solves your issue, with an answer arising 'out of the blue,' that is exactly what I tell my workshop participants. We often receive divine guidance through signs and synchronicities, and it helps to be patient and give those divine signposts some time to show up. In fact, over time you might receive so many similar messages that the answer you seek is absolutely unmistakable.

When you don't have much time, however, what then?

You may be surprised to know that---as a perfectionist---I also tend to weigh all the pros and cons to help me make the "perfect" decision. But that thought process doesn't always prove helpful.

That's when I do something that it sounds like you are not doing: I get quiet, go within, and try to gauge my 'feelings' about my options. This is a subtle art that requires some practice, but these days I can quickly tell the difference between a path that 'feels' good/peaceful/flowing, versus one that doesn't 'feel' as desirable. This is my divine intuition speaking to me through my feelings (instead of my mind, because it is too busy thinking!).

From your note, dear reader, it sounds like you may be spending too much time in your head, instead of trying to access the wisdom of your heart . . . that divinely insightful part of you that speaks to you through intuition nudges. You are trying to "think quickly," when thinking is actually part of the problem! It is much quicker to get in touch with the guidance of your intuition, which is immediately available to you, and more reliable, too.

I suggest that you focus on nurturing your intuitive abilities, and learning how to distinguish between that subtle feeling that says 'yes, do this,' versus that subtle feeling that says, 'no, this is not the ideal course of action.'

If you have trouble with this, I recommend a daily routine of meditation in the morning, which helps you stay more in touch with your intuitive nature throughout the day.

Finally, please remember this: When the deadline has arrived, and you have to make a decision, but you are still not confident about what your best course of action is, make any decision and don't worry about it!

It is comforting to remember that the divine flow can take whatever decision you make, and ultimately transform that decision into a beneficial choice . . . as long as you remain open to your divine guidance and continue to follow its direction from that point on. As I often say, 'Everything can be a stepping stone to your highest good . . . if you want it to be.'

Thank you for your question, dear reader. I hope my answer was helpful to you."

. . . and friends, I hope you found my reply to be of value, as well.

Blessings!

Steven

P.S. For more information about intuition, I recommend a book called Divine Intuition. You will find it on the Helpful Links page of my website. For more information about the form of meditation that I personally practice, I invite you to visit www.alternative-medicine.net/meditation/english.html.


© 2008 by Steven Lane Taylor
Author of Row, Row, Row Your Boat:
A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow

No comments: